Posted 24th April 2013
Thinking of taking your pet abroad to enjoy some holiday sunshine this year? A Pet Passport allows your dog, cat or ferret to travel to and from the EU and other listed countries without the need for quarantine, provided they meet the necessary requirements. It is best to check what’s needed well in advance of your planned date of travel to make sure everything is in order. Detailed information can be found on the Pet Travel Scheme website. It’s best to check this each time you’re planning to take your pet away to make sure you meet all the specifics for your planned destination. We’ve put together a brief summary of some of the key points for travel to and from the EU below:
Requirements for a Pet Passport
– Your pet must be microchipped before rabies vaccination to allow for identification.
– Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies (they must be at least 3 months old for this). Boosters must be kept up to date.
– The passport can then immediately be issued, but there is a 3 week waiting period before travel is permitted whilst the immune system responds to the rabies vaccination.
For dogs there is also a requirement for specific tapeworm treatment to be administered 24-120 hours (1-5 days) before entry into the UK. A registered veterinarian must do this and certify that the treatment has been given within the Pet Passport.
Your pet must travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route.
In addition to the above legal requirements you should also consider protection for your pet against certain infectious diseases found in many warmer countries including:
– Tick-borne diseases such as babesiosis and ehrlichiosis
– Mosquito-borne diseases such as heartworm
– Sand fly-borne diseases such as leishmaniasis
For more information please see:
– The Pet Travel Scheme section of our Pet Info Library
– The British Small Animal Veterinary Association have put together some key points to consider when thinking of taking your pet on holiday in a poster that can be viewed here.
If you have any further enquires or want to get a Pet Passport please call us on 01280 703451.